Three Take-Aways from Spring 2020
We’ve been reflecting on the final ten weeks of our school year and reviewing feedback from the distance learning survey. Here are three take-aways from this unusual Spring:
OUR MGCS PARENTS ARE EXCEPTIONAL PARTNERS
MGCS parents quickly set up learning spaces, tirelessly supported our efforts, mastered new technology, and allowed us to virtually visit their homes five days a week. One parent wrote, “we are on board with anything that will promote learning.” This kind of teamwork helped make distance learning successful.
OUR SCHOOL COMMUNITY CARES
For almost 40 years, MGCS families and friends have stepped in to serve each other and the greater Wilmington community in times of need. This spring was no exception. We held a massively successful food drive for Nourish NC and made cards for nurses at NHRMC. Our Booster Club collected supplies to thank hospital staff. Teachers delivered yard signs to our graduates, and many families and teachers organized birthday and “goodbye” parades to safely celebrate milestones during the stay-at-home order.
Our signature teamwork was fully on display during our outdoor graduations; Five Oaks Nursery and Tree Farm (the Massengill family) donated and delivered dozens of plants for our stage, Southern Sign (the Wilson family) produced a large MGCS seal overnight, our Kindergarten, Fifth and Eighth grade families remained remarkably flexible as our plans changed due to safety protocols and weather, middle school students helped set up the parking lot, and the whole staff pitched in to turn our parking lot into a festive and functional event venue.
Many of our families donated their activity fee refund back to the Annual Fund to help provide tuition assistance to families in need.
OUR TEACHERS SHINE ONLINE OR IN-PERSON
Here is what our parents had to say about our MGCS teachers during distance learning…
- “Exemplary! The Middle School Teachers…went above and beyond to meet the needs of my daughter…hats off to a fabulous team of teachers!”
- “Mrs. Eddy and Mrs.Ormsby (PreK) did not miss a beat with distance learning. They created the same environment online that they had the whole year before this. It made my boys comfortable and engaged…they created a full morning of school for us to do at home.”
- “Really, the teachers were on top of their game! Made this whole experience, which could have been dreadful, fun and exciting. Everyday brought a new adventure.”
- “I was genuinely impressed with how quickly online learning was up and running.”
- “Everyone seemed to give 100% effort, and it showed.”
Check out more results from our distance learning survey here: MGCS Distance Learning Survey
We are deeply thankful for our school community and look forward to reuniting in August. Only God knows what is ahead, but He is with us and that is more than enough!